3000 Nigerians Trapped In Libya Have Been Repatriated, Says Nigerian Government 

Share this:

3000 Nigerians Trapped In Libya Have Been Repatriated, Says Nigerian Government 

Bamidele Fashube, ABUJA, Nigeria. (GVE) — The Federal Government on Tuesday disclosed that not less than 3,000 Nigerians who were trapped in Libya have so far been rescued and repatriated back to the country.

The government said the exercise was successfully embarked upon in partnership with the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) such that 250 migrants were weekly returned to the country.

According to spokesperson of the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Tiwatope Elias-Fatile, Nigeria’s embassy in Libya has been visiting detention camps to identify Nigerians for registration.

He stated in Abuja that the government currently has a record of 2,778 Nigerian migrants registered in “accessible” detention camps in Libya and ready for repatriation.

He noted that those registered were issued Emergency Travel Certificates.

His words: “From the 2,778 registered Nigerians who are still in detention camps, another set of 250 Nigerian migrants will be arriving today at Murtala Mohammed Airport, Lagos at 7.00.p.m. to be received by NEMA officials.

“The Embassy, in collaboration with the IOM repatriates 250 Nigerian migrants by flight to Lagos weekly – each flight can accommodate only 250 passengers.

“The repatriation is a continuous exercise and the Embassy routinely issues the requisite travel documents to the migrants.”

“The Embassy will continue to engage the legitimate government in Libya and other stakeholders in addressing the plight of Nigerian migrants in that country.”

The Ministry further said that the Foreign Affairs Minister Geoffrey Onyeama had invited the Nigerian Embassy’s Head of Mission, Mr Iliya Fachano, to Abuja for consultations.

“He is in Abuja already and during the period of the consultations, arrangements have been made for him to address press conferences on the issue.

“This would afford the Nigerian public the opportunity to hear from him directly.”

The federal government further advised intending Nigerian travellers to “avoid Libya at this period, because of the dangers they may encounter in the process of their journey.”

Nigerians who are still stranded were urged to reach the nation’s Embassy in Libya for assistance through these emergency numbers: +218910144487, +218925099384 and +218917953365

Share this:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *